Jump to content
Your browser is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this websites. Learn how to update your browser[Close]

Knife and flammables


No terrorist link in Swiss train attack


Six people were injured in the attack, including a child. (SRF-SWI)

Six people were injured in the attack, including a child.

(SRF-SWI)

Police say an attack on a train on the eastern Swiss border was not connected to terrorism. One woman and the attacker died after the incident.

A 27-year-old Swiss man attacked several passengers on the train on Saturday afternoon using a knife and flammable liquid. A 34-year-old woman died from her injuries on Sunday. The attacker was also confirmed dead after suffering serious burns. Police were not able to question him before he died. 

Five other people were also injured. A 17-year-old girl and a six-year-old child are in a serious condition. A 50-year-old man and a 43-year-old woman are also being treated. 

Video footage showed the man using a knife in the attack and igniting flammable liquid. When the train pulled into Salez station, a passer-by dragged the attacker onto the platform, preventing the situation from worsening. This person also had to be treated for injuries. 

The footage has led the police to believe the attacker was acting alone. 

"To date there is no evidence this was a terrorist attack or politically motivated," said a police statement issued on Sunday. A spokesman confirmed the man had been Swiss, from a canton bordering St Gallen, and did not have an immigration background. He did not have a criminal record. 

The train and flammable liquid were being examined by forensics.

The attack occurred at 2:20pm, near Salez station on the route between Buchs and Sennwald, on the Liechtenstein border. Around 60 other passengers were on the train when it happened.

Around 90 ambulance, fire and police officers were on the scene on Saturday.  

St Gallen's prosecutor's office has opened a criminal investigation into the incident and the attacker's home has been searched. 

Security surveillance on trains remains unchanged pending the results of the investigation, the Swiss Federal Railways confirmed. 

 (SRF-SWI)
(SRF-SWI)

swissinfo.ch and agencies

Copyright

All rights reserved. The content of the website by swissinfo.ch is copyrighted. It is intended for private use only. Any other use of the website content beyond the use stipulated above, particularly the distribution, modification, transmission, storage and copying requires prior written consent of swissinfo.ch. Should you be interested in any such use of the website content, please contact us via contact@swissinfo.ch.

As regards the use for private purposes, it is only permitted to use a hyperlink to specific content, and to place it on your own website or a website of third parties. The swissinfo.ch website content may only be embedded in an ad-free environment without any modifications. Specifically applying to all software, folders, data and their content provided for download by the swissinfo.ch website, a basic, non-exclusive and non-transferable license is granted that is restricted to the one-time downloading and saving of said data on private devices. All other rights remain the property of swissinfo.ch. In particular, any sale or commercial use of these data is prohibited.

×