Navigation

Skiplink Navigation

Main Features

Children’s charity fights for survival

Financial pressures mean Switzerland’s biggest children’s charity, Pro Juventute, may not survive to celebrate its centenary in 2012, the group warned on Tuesday.

The foundation’s director, Stephan Oetiker, told journalists that in addition to the restructuring programme already undertaken, under which 20 full-time posts had been shed, it would step up its appeals to the public and also look for money from political and economic sources.

It depends on voluntary donations for 80 per cent of its funding. Each year it spends SFr5 million ($5.1 million) more than it receives.

The charity’s best-known service is its children’s helpline, called by 400 young people every day. It describes it as a life-saver: one call a day is from a young person contemplating suicide. Suicide is one of the major causes of death among under 18-year-olds in Switzerland.

Efforts to save Pro Juventute are being backed by a range of personalities, including Interior Minister Didier Burkhalter and footballers Diego Benaglio and Stéphane Chapuisat. The organisation says it intends to work more closely with members of parliament, and has launched a parliamentary support group.

swissinfo.ch


Links

Neuer Inhalt

Horizontal Line


subscription form

Form for signing up for free newsletter.

Sign up for our free newsletters and get the top stories delivered to your inbox.







Click here to see more newsletters

swissinfo EN

The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.

Join us on Facebook!

×