Navigation

Cuche fined for race jump threat

Swiss skier Didier Cuche will receive a written warning and a fine for threatening to "attack" a race director if a dangerous jump is not changed.

This content was published on March 14, 2011 - 08:59
swissinfo.ch and agencies

The International Ski Federation says Cuche telephoned chief race director Gunter Hujara on Thursday, telling him to remove the jump at the 3km Olympiabakken World Cup downhill course in Norway.

"If you don't take the jump down and anything happens, I will not hesitate to attack you in public,” he allegedly said.

Hujara told the Associated Press it was the way Cuche made the comment that had been the problem. The Federation’s race jury unanimously decided to sanction him in a decision announced on Saturday.

Cuche, the defending World Cup downhill champion, will be fined SFr5,000 ($5,400) for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Cuche was not available for comment. The 36-year-old skier finished fifth in Friday's downhill, but bounced back to win the super-G on Sunday.

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

Share this story

Join the conversation!

With a SWI account, you have the opportunity to contribute on our website.

You can Login or register here.