Navigation

Skiplink Navigation

Main Features

Libyan government rejects war crimes charges

Libya has accused both rebels and Nato forces of committing war crimes, while denying a United Nations report that the Gaddafi regime was guilty of such charges.

Libyan diplomat Mustafa Shaban told the Geneva-based United Nations Human Rights Council on Thursday that Gaddafi’s regime was "the victim of a widespread aggression".

"Cities in the hands of armed gangs suffer terrible violations of human rights and heinous crimes," Shaban told the council.

He blamed the media, the opposition and African and foreign mercenaries for the violations and even "acts of cannibalism”. Shaban added that Gaddafi's government would turn over evidence that it has obtained.

The chief prosecutor for the International Criminal Court said on Wednesday he was investigating whether Gaddafi had provided Viagra to Libyan soldiers to promote rape.

And a UN panel said last week its investigators had found evidence that government forces had committed murder, torture and sexual abuse.

Swiss ambassador Dante Martinelli called for the panel's mandate to be extended so its experts could complete their investigations. Martinelli also demanded that humanitarian aid convoys receive unhinderted access to the country. 

swissinfo.ch and agencies


Links

Neuer Inhalt

Horizontal Line


subscription form

Form for signing up for free newsletter.

Sign up for our free newsletter and get the top stories delivered to your inbox.

swissinfo EN

The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.

Join us on Facebook!

×