External Content

The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.

The funeral motorcade of the five Argentine citizens who were killed in the truck attack in New York on October 31 passes by as mounted policemen salute in Buenos Aires, Argentina November 6, 2017. REUTERS/Marcos Brindicci

(reuters_tickers)

By Cassandra Garrison

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - The bodies of five Argentine men killed in a truck attack in New York City arrived Monday morning at a Buenos Aires airport, where a police escort received them.

Several dozen officers accompanied the bodies of the victims as they were transported from Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport in a motorcade to Rosario, home town of the five men and Argentina's third-largest city.

Other officers on horseback saluted as the cars carrying the mens' bodies passed through the streets of Buenos Aires.

Family members, who had flown to New York after the attack to bring home the victims, were expected to take another flight from Buenos Aires to Rosario on Monday morning, according to local media.

The victims are Hernán Ferruchi, 48, Alejandro Damián Pagnucco, 49, Diego Enrique Angelini, 48, Hernán Diego Mendoza, 48 and Ariel Erlij, 48.

The five, who were businessmen or architects, were among eight people killed in the truck attack as they rode bicycles on a pedestrian path in lower Manhattan along the Hudson River on Oct. 31. The Argentines were part of a group of 10 friends who had travelled to New York to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their high school graduation.

Argentine President Maurico Macri is expected to visit the site of the attack on Monday to pay tribute to the victims while he is in New York on a previously planned trip to meet with investors and business executives.

Rosario entered a three-day mourning period after the deadly attack. The victims' high school, where administrators said life-long friendships are common among students, is observing a week-long mourning period and counselling students on the circumstances of the attack.

Guillermo Banchini, one of the men on the trip who survived the attack, urged justice as he spoke from the Argentine counsel in New York on Friday.

"Let there be justice. Let this not be repeated, not here nor anywhere in the world," Banchini said.

(Editing by Bernadette Baum)

Neuer Inhalt

Horizontal Line


subscription form

Form for signing up for free newsletter.

Sign up for our free newsletters and get the top stories delivered to your inbox.







Click here to see more newsletters

swissinfo EN

The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.

Join us on Facebook!

Reuters