The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.
REFILE - CLARIFYING ACCORDING TO THE LEGAL STATUS A security personnel detains the man accused of stabbing two German tourists to death and wounding four others during an attack at the Zahabia hotel resort in Hurghada, south of the capital Cairo, Egypt, July 14, 2017. REUTERS/Mohamed Aly(reuters_tickers)
CAIRO (Reuters) - An Egyptian man who stabbed three foreign tourists to death and wounded three more earlier this month at a Red Sea resort had tried to join Islamic State, according to a police investigation, two security sources said on Sunday.
Officials say Abdel Rahman Shaban Abokorah killed two German women and a Czech woman and wounded three other tourists at the popular Red Sea resort of Hurghada on July 14. He was caught by hotel staff and arrested.
Investigators have recommended he face terrorism charges, the two sources said. Authorities have so far not commented officially on motives for the attack.
(Reporting by Ahmed Mohamed Hassan; Writing by Patrick Markey; Editing by Larry King)