External Content

The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.

BERLIN (Reuters) - A 24-year-old Moroccan man is being investigated in Germany on suspicion of planning an attack on the Russian embassy in Berlin, a spokesman for the Dresden state prosecutor's office said on Tuesday.

"We have started an investigation into the man under suspicion of planning an act of violence against the Russian embassy in Berlin," Steve Schulze-Reinhold told reporters.

Schulze-Reinhold said the suspect had been detained at a refugee centre in the Saxon town of Borsdorf near Leipzig.

No further details into the investigation were provided.

Fourteen people were killed and 50 wounded in last week's suicide bomb attack on the St Petersburg metro. Russian state investigators said the suspected bomber was Akbarzhon Jalilov, a 23-year-old born in the mainly Muslim ex-Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan.

(Reporting by Erik Kirschbaum, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Neuer Inhalt

Horizontal Line


subscription form

Form for signing up for free newsletter.

Sign up for our free newsletter and get the top stories delivered to your inbox.

swissinfo EN

The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.

Join us on Facebook!

Reuters