External Content

The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kremlin said on Thursday authorities were hunting for those behind what it called a campaign of "telephone terrorism" that has prompted tens of thousands of people to be evacuated from buildings across the country in the last few days.

Authorities evacuated people from dozens of buildings in Moscow on Wednesday after a flurry of anonymous phone calls falsely asserting the locations had been mined. The calls, which have affected more than 20 towns and cities, are reported to have begun on Monday.

"This is telephone terrorism," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told a conference call with reporters.

"The president (Vladimir Putin) was informed as soon as this wave of mischievous calls started. We are taking the necessary measures to identify those responsible."

(Reporting by Polina Nikolskaya and Dmitry Solovyov; Editing by Andrew Osborn)

Neuer Inhalt

Horizontal Line


swissinfo EN

The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.

Join us on Facebook!

subscription form

Form for signing up for free newsletter.

Sign up for our free newsletters and get the top stories delivered to your inbox.







Click here to see more newsletters

Reuters