External Content

The following content is sourced from external partners. We cannot guarantee that it is suitable for the visually or hearing impaired.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department said on Thursday it had decided to extend by a year its ban on U.S. citizens' travel to North Korea, citing continued concerns about the threat of arrest and long-term detention of U.S. nationals there.

The two countries are involved in talks intended to ease tensions between them, and U.S. President Donald Trump met with North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un in June.

Since then relations have cooled and a planned visit by the top U.S. diplomat to North Korea was scrapped last week because Trump said insufficient progress towards denuclearisation had been made.

The ban, which went into effect on Sept. 1, 2017, had been set to expire on Friday. It will be extended through Aug. 31, 2019, the State Department said in a notice to be published in the Federal Register on Friday.

(Reporting by Makini Brice; Editing by Tim Ahmann and Susan Thomas)

Neuer Inhalt

Horizontal Line


swissinfo EN

Teaser Join us on Facebook!

Join us on Facebook!

subscription form

Form for signing up for free newsletter.

Sign up for our free newsletters and get the top stories delivered to your inbox.








Click here to see more newsletters

Reuters