Navigation

Rosset pulls out of Olympics

The Swiss number one men's tennis player, Marc Rosset, has withdrawn from the Olympic Games in Sydney, just days before the start of the event. It is not yet clear who will replace the 30-year-old.

This content was published on September 12, 2000 - 11:28

Daniel Monnin, spokesman for the Swiss Tennis Association, told swissinfo he had received indirect confirmation of Rosset's decision and was seeking an explanation from his manager.

"Rosset does not talk to the Tennis Association, let alone the Olympic Association," Monnin said.

Rosset, who won Olympic gold in Barcelona in 1992, has been at loggerheads with the Tennis Association since its appointment of Jakob Hlasek as captain of the Davis Cup team last year.

He and other players threatened to boycott Davis Cup games because of the appointment, but withdrew the threat in January. However, Rosset was not selected for Switzerland's clash against Australia the following month.

It remains unclear who will replace Rosset at the Olympics. Monnin said the Tennis Association would put forward another name, which would have to be endorsed by the Swiss Olympic Association.

Possible candidates include the 21 year-old Michel Kratochvil and 26 year-old Lorenzo Manta.

by Malcolm Shearmur

Articles in this story

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

In compliance with the JTI standards

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Change your password

Do you really want to delete your profile?