Navigation

Swiss tourists among injured in Italy shipwreck

The foreign ministry says at least two Swiss passengers have been injured when a cruise ship ran aground off the coast of central Italy.

This content was published on January 15, 2012 - 13:40
swissinfo.ch and agencies

It said the Swiss victims were admitted to hospital but had been able to leave again.

Ministry officials on Sunday said they had no knowledge of further victims among the 69 Swiss passengers on board the Costa Concordia which hit a submerged rock off the island of Giglio on Friday.

The Swiss tourists are being cared for by members of the Swiss embassy in Rome and the consulate in Milan according to the foreign ministry.

The ship carried about 4,000 people, mainly Italians, Germans and French citizens, and was on a cruise around the Mediterranean sea.

At least five people were killed, 60 others injured and more than a dozen still unaccounted for on Sunday.

The captain of the boat has been arrested under suspicion of causing deaths.

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

In compliance with the JTI standards

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Change your password

Do you really want to delete your profile?