Canton Aargau is steeped in history with its four castles, a monastery and a Roman legionnaires camp. The sites come under the Aargau Museum umbrella, and are an insight into the lives of the noble families that lived there.
Lenzburg is one of the Switzerland’s oldest and most important mountain top castles. In its 900-year history the site has been constantly enlarged. Powerful counts, bailiffs and private owners lived here.
Schloss Wildegg was built around 1200 by the Habsburgs, a German princely family. It was owned by the Effingers for 11 generations and is surrounded by gardens, pastures and vineyards.
Hallwyl Castle from the 11th Century is one of Switzerland’s most important moated castles. The owners, the von Hallwyl family, were minor aristocrats from Aargau.
Habsburg Castle, founded in 1030, is the ancestral home of the family by the same name, which provided all of the Roman Emperors between 1452 and 1740, and ruled over large parts of Europe. They also had colonies in America, Asia and Africa.
The Königsfelden Monastery was set up for the salvation of the deceased Habsburgs, and contains 11 stained glass windows created between 1320 and 1360, which are considered among the most outstanding works of European glass painting from that period.
The Legionnaire’s Path in Windisch is Switzerland’s only Roman Legionnaire’s camp.
Source: Ivan Engler Visuelle Kommunikation