Jump to content
Your browser is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this websites. Learn how to update your browser[Close]

Asylum policy


First 30 refugees from EU programme to arrive


The first group of refugees that Switzerland will take in as part of the European Union’s refugee relocation programme will be made up of 30 people, it has been confirmed. The asylum seekers, mostly from Eritrea and Syria, are currently in Italy.

These 30 people are a “pilot group”, Martin Reichlin, spokesman for the State Secretariat for Migration told the Swiss News Agency on Sunday, confirming information that had appeared in the NZZ am Sonntag newspaper. 

The group will be accepted as part as the European refugee relocation programme, agreed in September 2015, to which Switzerland has signed up as a voluntary participant.

The country has said that it is prepared to take up to 1,500 refugees, on condition they are registered as asylum seekers in neighbouring Italy or in Greece.

Overall, the EU wants to relocate 120,000 refugees among the bloc to ease the strains on frontline nations like Greece and Italy. But the principle of sharing refugees has been extremely divisive and opposed by several countries in central and eastern Europe. The deal therefore does not set mandatory quotas for each nation.

Date still unknown

“We expect the 30 refugees to arrive around mid-April but we do not know the exact date,” Reichlin said. “It could be in a week’s time or in four weeks’ time."

The group is made up of asylum seekers who reached Italy via the Mediterranean and most of them come from Eritrea or Syria, he added. Applicants from these countries have a 75% chance or higher of gaining protected status across the EU, Reichlin explained.

As soon as they arrive, they will go through the Swiss asylum process as normal, he added.

The Swiss cabinet has said that it would be prepared to take in a second group of refugees, as long as the EU agrees on quotas as part of a further relocation programme. The timetable for this is not yet known. The Swiss may accept 4,500-5,000 refugees, according to the Swiss News Agency.

Swiss response criticised

On Monday, the Swiss charity Caritas issued a statement criticising the Swiss government's aid to Syria. The government has pledged CHF50 million ($52 million) per year in aid so far, but Caritas director Hugo Fasel said that was insufficient, arguing that twice as much is needed.

Fasel also said the Swiss should pledge to take in more Syrian refugees, saying that the government needed to come up with more solutions to support communities who are accommodating them.

"These people are simply fighting to survive," Fasel said of the refugees. "Fleeing is their only option."

swissinfo.ch and agencies

Copyright

All rights reserved. The content of the website by swissinfo.ch is copyrighted. It is intended for private use only. Any other use of the website content beyond the use stipulated above, particularly the distribution, modification, transmission, storage and copying requires prior written consent of swissinfo.ch. Should you be interested in any such use of the website content, please contact us via contact@swissinfo.ch.

As regards the use for private purposes, it is only permitted to use a hyperlink to specific content, and to place it on your own website or a website of third parties. The swissinfo.ch website content may only be embedded in an ad-free environment without any modifications. Specifically applying to all software, folders, data and their content provided for download by the swissinfo.ch website, a basic, non-exclusive and non-transferable license is granted that is restricted to the one-time downloading and saving of said data on private devices. All other rights remain the property of swissinfo.ch. In particular, any sale or commercial use of these data is prohibited.

×