Jump to content
Your browser is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this websites. Learn how to update your browser[Close]

Tunnel controversy

Voters to decide on second Gotthard road tunnel

Opponents of plans to build a second road tunnel through the Gotthard in central Switzerland - a major transalpine thoroughfare in Europe - have gathered enough signatures from the public to force a referendum on the issue.

Parliament had approved the estimated CHF2.7 billion ($2.8 billion) project to build a second tunnel and renovate the existing one in September.

Supporters, mainly the centre-right and right of the political spectrum, had argued that the move was in the interest of road safety, was economically and environmentally sustainable, and a sign of solidarity to the Gotthard region.

But those against were worried that the second route would lead to additional traffic and environmental problems, be too costly to build and breach a constitutional amendment to put transalpine road traffic onto rail.

Afterwards environmental groups, including the Alpine Initiative and the Swiss branches of the WWF and Greenpeace, pledged to challenge the parliamentary decision in a referendum.

Lots of signatures

On Friday the “no to the second Gotthard tunnel” group announced that they had already collected more than 100,000 signatures - 50,000 are needed to force a referendum challenge according to Switzerland’s system of direct democracy - a month before the deadline for collection.

“We are very happy that we have managed to sort out the referendum this well and so quickly,” said Caroline Beglinger, co-president of the referendum committee, in a statement.

In all, 50 local national, local and regional groups are campaigning against the second road tunnel, including the Social Democrats, Green and Liberal Green political parties.

A vote could take place as earlier as June 2015. It would be the third time since 1994 that the Swiss have directly or indirectly voted on the issue of a second tunnel. Until now they have always rejected the move.

The second tunnel project was due to start in 2020 and take seven years to complete. After that the existing tunnel, which was built in 1980, was to be renovated. Both tunnels were expected to be in operation from 2030.

swissinfo.ch and agencies


All rights reserved. The content of the website by swissinfo.ch is copyrighted. It is intended for private use only. Any other use of the website content beyond the use stipulated above, particularly the distribution, modification, transmission, storage and copying requires prior written consent of swissinfo.ch. Should you be interested in any such use of the website content, please contact us via contact@swissinfo.ch.

As regards the use for private purposes, it is only permitted to use a hyperlink to specific content, and to place it on your own website or a website of third parties. The swissinfo.ch website content may only be embedded in an ad-free environment without any modifications. Specifically applying to all software, folders, data and their content provided for download by the swissinfo.ch website, a basic, non-exclusive and non-transferable license is granted that is restricted to the one-time downloading and saving of said data on private devices. All other rights remain the property of swissinfo.ch. In particular, any sale or commercial use of these data is prohibited.