Navigation

Nestlé’s $1.7 billion Chinese deal approved

Swiss food and beverage giant Nestlé says it has received Chinese government approval to buy a majority stake in confectioner Hsu Fu Chi.

This content was published on December 8, 2011 - 15:58
swissinfo.ch and agencies

Nestlé says it will proceed with its plan to buy 60 per cent of Hsu Fu Chi in a deal valued at about $1.7 billion (SFr1.58 billion). The Hsu family will retain the remaining 40 per cent stake.

Nestlé said on Thursday it expected Hsu Fu Chi to delist from the Singapore stock exchange by the end of the year.

The owner of brands such as Nescafé, KitKat and Dreyers has been ramping up its presence in China in the hope of capitalising on increased consumer spending power there.

Hsu Fu Chi has four large factories and employs 16,000 people. Nestlé currently has 23 factories in China and 14,000 employees.

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

Comments under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Join the conversation!

With a SWI account, you have the opportunity to contribute on our website.

You can Login or register here.