Navigation

Skiplink Navigation

Main Features

Calmy-Rey visits families of Moroccan victims

Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey has visited the Ticino-based families of three people killed in an attack on a tourist café in Morocco last month.

A foreign ministry statement said the minister had expressed her sincere condolences on behalf of the government.

“We share the sadness of those close to these three young people and express our deepest sympathy for them during these difficult times,” Calmy-Rey said.  

The three victims - two Swiss and a Portuguese resident of Switzerland - were aged between 23 and 25. They were holidaying with a fourth companion in Marrakech when the attack on the busy Djemma el-Fna square occurred.

Two members of the group died at the scene, while the third victim succumbed to her injuries in a Zurich hospital a week later. The fourth member of the group, also a Swiss national, remains in a serious condition.

The funeral of the third victim was to be held in Ticino on Wednesday, the foreign ministry said.

Moroccan police have arrested three people over the attack, which killed 17 people and injured 21.

swissinfo.ch


Links

subscription form

Form for signing up for free newsletter.

Sign up for our free newsletter and get the top stories delivered to your inbox.

×