Talks in Geneva between the United States and North Korea have “narrowed differences” of how to resume discussions on Pyongyang's nuclear programme, the US says.This content was published on October 25, 2011 - 18:03
US delegation head Stephen Bosworth on Tuesday described the two-day discussions at the US mission to the United Nations as “very positive” and “constructive”.
However, he said no agreement on a formal resumption of negotiations had been reached.
"I am confident that with continued effort on both sides, we can reach a reasonable basis of departure for formal negotiations for a return to the six-party process," Bosworth said.
He added that the two sides would remain in touch through the North Korean mission to the UN in New York.
Six-party talks on North Korean nuclear disarmament - involving China, Russia, Japan and South Korea as well as North Korea and the US - collapsed more than two years ago. North Korea quit the process after UN sanctions were imposed following its second nuclear test.
This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: email@example.com
In compliance with the JTI standards