Navigation

Child abuse inquiry launched by monastery

A monastery in canton Schwyz has engaged prominent legal experts to carry out its independent inquiry into alleged cases of child abuse by priests in the past.

This content was published on April 19, 2010 - 12:44

On Monday, the monastery in Einsiedeln announced that it had tapped Pius Schmid, canton Zurich’s former public prosecutor, to lead the inquiry.

The team will also include Zug lawyer and mediator Judith Wild-Haas as well as Richard Kälin, canton Schwyz’s former youth lawyer. Additional specialists such as child psychologists will be summoned if needed.

In Monday’s statement, the monastery said it wished to achieve transparency while saving its credibility. In addition, it said it hoped to lay the groundwork to prevent child abuse in the future.

The monastery has urged victims of sexual abuse to come forward.

The inquiry follows an announcement last month by the Swiss Bishops Conference that there have been 70 alleged victims of abuse by Catholic priests in Switzerland in the last 15 years.

swissinfo.ch and agencies

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

Share this story

Join the conversation!

With a SWI account, you have the opportunity to contribute on our website.

You can Login or register here.