Navigation

New probe demanded in Nigerian’s death

The family of a Nigerian who died at Zurich airport shortly before deportation have said they are not satisfied with an autopsy that found he died of heart failure.

This content was published on August 20, 2010 - 14:38

A lawyer acting for the family has called for a new medical investigation, saying the family contested the original autopsy findings.

According to the post mortem carried out on the 29-year-old in March, he was suffering from a serious heart disease which was almost impossible to detect.

The heart failure also had to be linked with a hunger strike the man had been on and the unrest just before the flight, it said. The Nigerian, a convicted drug dealer, was restrained by force.

Doctors contacted by the family disagreed that the man had a serious heart complaint, adding that heart failure was therefore questionable.

After the death of the Nigerian, Switzerland temporarily suspended forced repatriation flights. They resumed at the end of July.

swissinfo.ch and agencies

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

Comments under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Join the conversation!

With a SWI account, you have the opportunity to contribute on our website.

You can Login or register here.