Navigation

Six Red Cross workers murdered in Congo

The killings were the most serious attack on ICRC workers in the past five years Keystone

Six members of the Geneva-based International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) have been killed in an attack in the northeast of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The organisation said a Swiss woman was among the victims.

This content was published on April 27, 2001 - 17:04

According to the ICRC, the dead were four local workers and two foreign delegates - a Colombian man, Julio Delgado, and a Swiss nurse, Rita Fox.

The Swiss foreign minister, Joseph Deiss, said he was "shocked" by the news.

The ICRC said its workers were found dead beside their two vehicles around 30 kilometres from the town of Bunia near the Ugandan border. They had been shot and hacked to death.

It was the most serious attack on ICRC workers for the past five years.

ICRC spokesman, Darcy Christen, said they had been deliberately targeted. "This is a clear violation of the Red Cross," he told swissinfo, adding that the two vehicles had borne clear Red Cross markings.

"We are very shocked," Christen said. "This was an area in which we were active and we were known." The team was on a mission to deliver medical aid.

Christen said the two foreign delegates had extensive knowledge of Africa and the local area. The Swiss worker was responsible for health issues, while the Colombian delegate was assessing humanitarian conditions in the area.

Christen stressed that the ICRC had long experience of working in Congo and was well respected there. He said there had been nothing to indicate that its workers in the Bunia region were at risk.

"Our policy is not to expose any of our delegates to critical situations," Christen told swissinfo.

"The standing orders are that if there is any indication that there's fighting going on, or there's a problem, they should refrain from going out to those areas. They went out knowing there was no indication that this could happen."

The ICRC said it would review its involvement in the area in the light of the attack. It is also seeking further security guarantees.

Ugandan-backed rebels of the Congo Liberation Front control the Bunia region, which was the scene of violent inter-ethnic clashes earlier this year.

A number of foreign-backed rebel groups have been fighting for control of the mineral rich country since 1998. Recently their leaders agreed a ceasefire under which the United Nations was to deploy observers along the former frontline.

swissinfo with agencies

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

Comments under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Join the conversation!

With a SWI account, you have the opportunity to contribute on our website.

You can Login or register here.