Navigation

Zug postpone hockey matches

Zug ice hockey club have expressed their sorrow over the shootings Keystone

Zug ice hockey team have abandoned this weekend's scheduled matches, following Thursday's shootings at the cantonal parliament.

This content was published on September 27, 2001 - 15:58

The club announced the postponement of Friday's home match against league leaders Ambri-Piotta and Saturday's visit to bottom side Chur, after hearing of the attack which left 15 people dead.

The club also issued a statement saying it was shocked by the "tragic attack" on the parliament. It added that all matches, including junior games, had been called off.

"We are thinking with sorrow and respect of all the victims of this condemnable act," the statement added, "and offer our most heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved."

The club said it would not consider new dates for the postponed matches until next week.

On Friday the Swiss football association said it had also decided to postpone all weekend games involving teams from Zug, after holding talks with officials from the first division and amateur leagues.

swissinfo with agencies

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

Share this story

Join the conversation!

With a SWI account, you have the opportunity to contribute on our website.

You can Login or register here.