Navigation

Anarchists behind letter bomb attack in Olten

A group of anarchists from Italy has claimed responsibility for Thursday’s letter bomb addressed to someone in the office of the Swiss nuclear power lobby organisation.

This content was published on April 1, 2011 - 15:42
swissinfo.ch

The Federal Prosecutor’s Office says investigations are being coordinated with the authorities in Italy and Greece where two similar attacks were carried out this week.

“We have indications that the same group is behind the attack against a military target in Italy and a prison director in Greece,” Carlo Bulletti, in charge of investigations at the prosecutor’s office, told journalists on Friday.

The same group is believed to be behind last year’s foiled bombing of the IBM research centre in Rüschlikon outside Zurich. It is also said to have sent letter bombs to the Swiss and Chilean embassies in Rome last December.

Bulletti said Thursday’s parcel contained a very powerful explosive and was aimed to kill. “It is sheer chance that the person who opened the parcel is still alive.”

Two staff members were reported to have been taken to hospital, but their injuries appeared superficial.

Bulletti added that the involvement of anti-nuclear activists in the incident was unlikely.

He warned that Switzerland should step up protection against anarchist attacks.

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

Comments under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Join the conversation!

With a SWI account, you have the opportunity to contribute on our website.

You can Login or register here.