Cancellara rejects cheating accusations

On the eve of the start of the Tour de Suisse cycling event, Fabian Cancellara has denied all claims that he might have cheated to obtain his two last victories.

This content was published on June 11, 2010 - 16:38

A recent video issued on YouTube showed that the Bernese rider could have had an auxiliary motor attached to his bike on the recent Tour of Flanders or on the Paris-Roubaix course.

Cancellara told a news conference on Friday the whole thing was “ridiculous and really not fair-play”.

“My two victories are the result of my work only. I have been a professional for ten years and have always followed the same line. I am only asking for one thing: Respect me, please.”

The cyclist added that he would not be wasting time in taking legal proceedings, as he wishes to concentrate on the race exclusively.

About the upcoming Tour de Suisse, Cancellara said: “It will be difficult to repeat last year’s victory. This year’s race is more mountainous than last year’s. There is a daunting stage with the Susten, the Oberalp and the Albula passes”.

swissinfo.ch and agencies

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

Share this story