A controversial Swiss judge at an international tribunal investigating war crimes in Cambodia has called for a re-trial of two senior Khmer Rouge officials.This content was published on February 10, 2012 - 10:29
Laurent Kasper-Ansermet, whose appointment has been blocked by the Cambodian government, said the retrial was in the public interest.
He said he did not need the support of his fellow Cambodian investigating judge, You Bunleng, to bring the former Khmer Rouge leaders to justice.
You, who had ordered the investigation closed last year, has rejected the proposal.
So far only one former Khmer Rouge leader, Kaing Guek, has been sentenced by the court.
The Khmer Rouge are held responsible for the deaths of about two million people in Cambodia in the 1970s.
This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org