Navigation

Teens to stay in jail for Munich rampage

Three Swiss students accused of assaulting five people in Munich last month will stay in jail until they go to court, German justice authorities said on Monday.

This content was published on July 13, 2009 - 16:01

German law allows for people to be released before trial, but that is not likely to happen in this case because the students are considered a flight risk, said Andreas Franck, a Munich public prosecutor.

The three 16-year-olds from the Zurich area randomly attacked five strangers in Munich on June 30 while on a school trip. The victims of their 30-minute rampage included a 46-year-old man whom they nearly beat to death. They also attacked a disabled man and a Bulgarian student.

In two cases the prosecutor is seeking charges of attempted murder. The other three cases are matters of serious bodily injury.

Two of the students have confessed their involvement. The third is believed to have hit the five victims first but has so far remained silent, German authorities said.

The investigation will probably last several months. The youths, who have previous convictions in Switzerland, face up to ten years in prison.

swissinfo.ch and agencies

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

In compliance with the JTI standards

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Change your password

Do you really want to delete your profile?