Marco Solari, vice-president of the Ringier press group, has been asked to take over the presidency of the Locarno film festival, following the death of Giuseppe Buffi in late July.This content was published on August 30, 2000 - 09:13
The festival's board is due to make its final decision on September 12.
The festival's directorate said on Tuesday that it thought Solari was the best-suited person to look after its interests and carry on the projects initiated by Buffi.
The 56-year-old Solari oversaw Switzerland's 700th anniversary celebrations in 1991 and is also a member of the Migros board.
Earlier this month, Solari said the position of festival president would be incompatible with his current job. But after talks with his employers, he was given the go-ahead to take on the unpaid role.
The Locarno film festival has still to find a new director. Marco Müller announced his departure on August 12.
swissinfo with agencies
This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org