"Yodeling, a special type of singing among the mountain population of Switzerland and Austria (Tyrol) and characterised by the frequent and quick passing from a low-chest voice to a high falsetto." (Harvard Dictionary of Music)This content was published on March 18, 2008 - 13:13
But what is the origin of this unusual form of singing? Who yodels in Switzerland? These and other questions are answered in this programme and illustrated with musical selections.
1. Ernst Gasser-Hans Thomann Yodel-Duo: Frohmatt-Jodel
(Ernst Sommer sen.)
2. Alpaufzug (Cows being led up to the Alpine pastures for summer)
3. Joseph Maria Arnold: Betruf (Uri prayer call)
(Josef Maria Arnold)
4. Franz Lustenberger: De Schratte zue - Towards th Rock Wall
Solo natural yodel performance
5. Schötze Choir, Stein: Im Engel z'Urnäsch
(Traditional "Zäuerli" yodel from Appenzell)
6. Combined Yodel Choirs of the City of Bern: Aelplerchilbi - Alpine Cowherd's Fair
7. Choir of the Gruyère Cowherds: La Youtse
8. Vreni Kneubühl-Jakob Ummel Yodel-Duo: Im Himmel cha's nid schöner si - Heaven Couldn't Be More Beautiful
9. Bea Albrecht and the German-Swiss Radio Light Orchestra: Bea's Swiss Yodel Waltz
10. Combined Choirs of the Entlebuch Valley: De Schwändeli-Flueh-Jutz
(Theo Schnider, arr. Urs Rüegg)
Natural yodel performance
Musica Helvetica MH 7. Swiss Folk Music. Yodeling. Produced 1972/1981 for SBC / SRI by Lance Tschannen.
Switzerland is a small alpine nation shaped and influenced by great cultural cross-currents that have swept through Europe over centuries. Out of elements of diversity, the people of this country have forged a distinctly Swiss identity. And music is one of its most eloquent expressions. "Musica Helvetica" explores different facets of music in Switzerland from its earliest beginnings to the latest works of modern Swiss composers, from folk music to rock and jazz. This historical series span the years 1972 to 1998. These recordings are not available.
This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: email@example.com
In compliance with the JTI standards