Employment and placement agencies

© Keystone / Peter Klaunzer

Whether you are a European or a third-state national looking to work in Switzerland, the search for a professional post should begin here.

This content was published on February 14, 2019 - 14:06

Citizens from the European Union and the Economic Free Trade Association (EFTA) enjoy special privileges when it comes to employment in Switzerland. But third-state nationals with the right skills can be an asset to any company.

On June 23, 2016, the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. It will remain an EU member while negotiations are carried out. 

British citizens already living in Switzerland before Brexit will continue to enjoy the same residency rights as before. But the situation for new British nationals coming to Switzerland post-Brexit hinges on whether Britain leaves the EU with a deal or not. If there is no deal, then Switzerland will impose a quota of 3,500 British nationals who can come to Switzerland to work.

Either way, this section should help guide you in your search for a rewarding career in Switzerland, where wages are among some of the highest in the world.

How to find a job

Vacant positions are often published in newspapers or specialised journals. The help wanted classifieds (Stelleninserate in German, Les offres d’emploi in French, Annunci di lavoro in Italian) are a good place to start.

You can find a list of newspapers online at or

The best-known papers for carrying job announcements are:

  • Stellefant in the Basler Zeitung

  • Stellenmarkt in Der Bund and the Berner Zeitung

  • 24 Emplois in 24 Heures

  • Pages emploi in Geneva’s Le Temps

  • Stellen-Anzeiger and Alpha in the Tages-Anzeiger and SonntagsZeitung

  • NZZexecutive in the Neue Zürcher Zeitung

  • Corriere del Ticino newspaper in canton Ticino

Jobs are also posted online at these sites:

Chambers of commerce may also be of help (See section on Chambers of Commerce). You can find a list of many Swiss companies online or through the Federal Commercial RegistryExternal link.

Placement agencies

Private employment agencies (Arbeitsvermittlung or agence de placement) are subject to authorisation in Switzerland. Manpower.chExternal link is one of the more popular online agencies.

You can find a list of agencies hereExternal link. Additional online resources include AdeccoExternal link.

Special help for EU/EFTA citizens

EU/EFTA citizens are allowed to come to Switzerland without a permit for up to three months looking for work. That period can be extended. See Quick Facts, Entry/Exit and Work Permits.

EURES (European Employment Services) is an information exchange network operated by the public employment services in the European Union and EFTA countries that aims to help facilitate the mobility of workers within the countries of those groups.

You can find the portal for EURES, the European Employment Services, hereExternal link.

Articles in this story

In compliance with the JTI standards

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at

Sort by

Change your password

Do you really want to delete your profile?

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Almost finished... We need to confirm your email address. To complete the subscription process, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Discover our weekly must-reads for free!

Sign up to get our top stories straight into your mailbox.

The SBC Privacy Policy provides additional information on how your data is processed.