Jump to content
Your browser is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this websites. Learn how to update your browser[Close]

Nazi links


Gurlitt ‘sane’ when donating art to museum


It seems Cornelius Gurlitt was of sound mind when he bequeathed his extensive art collection to a Swiss museum. That’s what a Munich court – adjudicating an inheritance counter-claim from relatives of the deceased German art collector – has heard.

The 146-page expert medical opinion was heard in the court on Tuesday. Gurlitt’s cousin, Uta Werner, has until February 1 to respond to the evidence. It is unclear how long the trial will last.

The reclusive Gurlitt, the son of Nazi art dealer Hildebrand Gurlitt, left a will handing the significant collection to Bern’s Museum of Fine Arts when he died aged 81 in April 2014. The collection consists of more than 1,500 paintings, drawings, lithographs, woodcuts and posters by artists including Matisse, Picasso, Renoir and Monet.

The museum said it would accept the donation in November 2014, but the decision was controversial for two reasons: it is believed that some of the art works were probably stolen from victims of the Holocaust, and Uta Werner has also contested the contents of Gurlitt’s will.

In the hope of solving the first problem, the German authorities set up the Schwabing Art Trove Task Force to comb through the collection for examples of Nazi looted art. However, after nearly two years of sifting through the collection, which contained 499 suspicious works, only five artworks have been positively identified as stolen.

Priorities

The task force still has until mid-January to complete its findings, but the Jewish Claims Conference has once again criticised the taskforce for what it see as foot-dragging up until this point. Last month, German Culture Minister Monika Grütters also expressed frustration at the slow progress being made, German-based journalist Catherine Hickley told swissinfo.ch.

“The general public perception in Germany is that the taskforce has been mismanaged, badly organised and lacking in transparency,” said Hickley. “This is not helped by the taskforce appearing to give precedence to the privacy rights of the deceased Gurlitt over those of individual claimants to the artworks. This gives the impression of having false priorities.”

In her book, The Munich Art Hoard: Hitler’s Dealer and His Secret Legacy, Hickley traces the collection’s history and examines the legal and ethical challenges of dealing with looted art.

swissinfo.ch and agencies

Copyright

All rights reserved. The content of the website by swissinfo.ch is copyrighted. It is intended for private use only. Any other use of the website content beyond the use stipulated above, particularly the distribution, modification, transmission, storage and copying requires prior written consent of swissinfo.ch. Should you be interested in any such use of the website content, please contact us via contact@swissinfo.ch.

As regards the use for private purposes, it is only permitted to use a hyperlink to specific content, and to place it on your own website or a website of third parties. The swissinfo.ch website content may only be embedded in an ad-free environment without any modifications. Specifically applying to all software, folders, data and their content provided for download by the swissinfo.ch website, a basic, non-exclusive and non-transferable license is granted that is restricted to the one-time downloading and saving of said data on private devices. All other rights remain the property of swissinfo.ch. In particular, any sale or commercial use of these data is prohibited.

×