Swiss parliament interrupts spring session over coronavirus
View inside the Swiss parliament on March 2
Keystone / Alessandro Della Valle
Parliament is cutting short the ongoing work in its two chambers – House of Representatives and Senate - due to the “rapidly worsening” coronavirus situation in Switzerland.
This content was published on
2 minutes
Keystone-SDA/sb
العربية
ar
البرلمان السويسري يوقف دورته الربيعية قبل الآجال القانونية بسبب فيروس كورونا المستجد
The spring session of parliament began on March 2 and was due to run for another week from March 16.
But due to the “rapidly worsening coronavirus situation” the presidents of the House of Representatives and Senate parliamentary groups decided to interrupt work at the request of the administrative delegation, parliament announced on Twitter on March 15.
The Keystone-SDA News agency confirmed that the presidents discussed the situation on Sunday during a telephone conversation.
Senate President Hans Stöckli told Swiss public radio, SRF; “We have no business that makes it necessary for us to meet…but the situation is serious.”
Various requests had been made by parliamentarians to suspend the spring session two weeks ago but it had gone ahead nonetheless. Special measures had been introduced to prevent transmissions.
Stöckli said a special session is already planned for early May. In addition, a session could be convened at any time if the Federal Council needed parliamentary decisions.
Switzerland is one of the countries most affected by the coronavirus worldwide, with over 1,500 confirmed cases and 14 deaths.
On March 13, the Swiss government imposed sweeping measures on March 13, including closing schools across the country until at least April 4 (some cantons have longer closures until April 30), banning public gatherings of more than 100 people, limiting access to restaurants, bars and discos to a maximum of 50 people and pledging CHF10 billion to help the economy.
Cantons Ticino, Basel Country and Jura have introduced tighter measures to combat the spread of the virus.
More
More
Coronavirus: the situation in Switzerland
This content was published on
An overview of the latest Covid-related information in the Alpine nation.
Swiss broadcaster appoints Eurovision Song Contest officials
This content was published on
The SBC Executive Board has appointed Reto Peritz and Moritz Stadler from SRF and RTS as the managers charged with overseeing the ESC 2025 task force.
F1 Sauber cleared of unauthorised advertising, rules Swiss commission
This content was published on
The Sauber F1 racing team is not engaging in unauthorized advertising for online gambling: this is the conclusion reached by the Swiss Federal Gaming Board.
‘Alpha Uno’: Swiss fighter jets take off and land on motorway
This content was published on
The Swiss Air Force is conducting a military exercise on the motorway in canton Vaud between the Payerne and Avenches municipalities on Wednesday.
Federal offices and Xplain adopt data protection recommendations
This content was published on
Swiss authorities and its private contract processors are required to review their cooperation after an investigation into leaked data.
This content was published on
Heavy rainfall has caused severe flooding in northern Armenia and cost lives. Switzerland dispatched a team of seven engineers to the region.
Switzerland bans major public events to slow spread of virus
This content was published on
Switzerland has banned public events with more than 1,000 people until at least March 15 in response to the coronavirus threat.
Companies seek to cushion the economic blow of coronavirus
This content was published on
As some Swiss businesses are forced to cut back on working hours due to the coronavirus, more are requesting financial support from authorities.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.