For the first time since 2005, the government closed last year with a higher deficit than would have been permissible for economic reasons. The deficit amounts to CHF1.6 billion (CHF1.7 billion).
Speaking at a news conference on Wednesday, Keller-Sutter said the government agreed that measures are necessary as the outlook remains bleak.
“As the new finance minister, I cannot present you with a surplus, quite the contrary,” Keller-Sutter said.
In addition to the higher than budgeted extraordinary expenditures due to the Corona pandemic (CHF3.3 billion) and the Russian invasion of Ukraine (CHF0.7 billion), the deficit in 2022 was also much higher than estimated in the ordinary budget.
One reason was significantly lower income from withholding tax.
Across the board
The financing deficit in 2022 was CHF4.3 billion. But the shortfall only has to be compensated for in subsequent years with spending cuts.
The budget figures updated at the end of January show a structural deficit of CHF2 billion for 2024, Keller-Sutter said. Compliance with the debt brake is central, she added. “Our stable fiscal policy has allowed us to weather various crises.”
In a first step announced last month, the mandatory financial contribution to the prestigious Horizon Europe research programme is to be cut from the budget, while army expenditure will be increased and tax brakes for electric vehicles will be suspended.
The remaining funding deficit of about CHF500 million is to eliminated with across-the-board spending cuts, including job losses. Spending on education, research, security (but not the armed forces), foreign relations and agriculture are also likely.
Some CHF600 million are to be saved by spending cuts for social welfare, finances and transport.
“These measures are certainly painful, but necessary,” Keller-Sutter said. Overall, the government’s ordinary expenditure would grow by around 3% in 2024 despite these adjustment measures.
It’s up to parliament to set priorities, according to Keller-Sutter.
Related Stories
Popular Stories
More
International Geneva
A Geneva-based global health foundation came close to ‘collapse’. Where were regulators?
Swiss-EU treaties: signatures handed in for Kompass initiative
This content was published on
The committee behind the Compass Initiative submitted the signatures it had collected to the Federal Chancellery on Friday.
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
This content was published on
Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.
How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
This content was published on
Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.
This content was published on
The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.
Natural disasters: most Swiss back forced resettlement
This content was published on
The authorities should be allowed to order forced relocations if there is a medium-term risk of a natural event, according to 58% of participants in a survey.
This content was published on
The government has revealed its savings ideas for the 2024 budget, including a smaller than planned boost in military spending.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.