Since 1992, cantons and municipalities haven’t been obliged to provide such inspection bodies, where trained mycologists go through baskets and weed out poisonous mushrooms from harmless and edible ones.
However, some cantons and municipalities have continued to offer such a service until the inspectors retire, for example. They then cut the job to save money. Today there are still about 350 stations.
The umbrella organisation fears that if developments continue like this, there will be more cases of poisoning. Schlatter, herself a mushroom inspector, speaks of a “ticking time bomb”.
The association has already noticed that people who go mushroom hunting in areas without an inspection centre prefer to send in photos of mushrooms of which they’re not sure. Many people also share photos on social media, asking for help in identifying mushrooms.
This can end fatally, Schlatter says. She adds that mushroom apps should be treated with caution, since the same mushroom can look different, depending on its age, the nutrient content of the soil and the kind of the growth.
“It’s almost impossible for an app to detect that,” she says.
More poisonings
If poisoning is suspected, 24-hour advice is available on Tox Info SuisseExternal link’s emergency hotline 145. This year Tox Info says it has seen an extraordinary number of mushroom poisonings or suspected cases.
“There have already been around 200 more poisonings or suspected cases this year than at the same time last year,” says Katharina Schenk, senior physician at Tox Info. “These include first poisonings with the dangerous death cap mushroom.”
The inspectors are calling on the government to reconsider the mushroom identification centres as a public service and to adapt the Federal Act on FoodstuffsExternal link accordingly.
However, the government sees no need for action. Consumption is a private matter, it believes, and the consumption of mushrooms “for private domestic use” is also a question of personal responsibility.
Swiss-EU treaties: signatures handed in for Kompass initiative
This content was published on
The committee behind the Compass Initiative submitted the signatures it had collected to the Federal Chancellery on Friday.
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
This content was published on
Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.
How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
This content was published on
Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.
This content was published on
The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.
Natural disasters: most Swiss back forced resettlement
This content was published on
The authorities should be allowed to order forced relocations if there is a medium-term risk of a natural event, according to 58% of participants in a survey.
This content was published on
Figures released by Tox Info SuisseExternal link on Thursday reveal that 543 cases of mushroom poisoning were reported by the end of October (end of harvest season) compared to 379 last year. This is an unusually high number; the second highest number of poisoning cases was 480, recorded in 2012. According to Marionna Schlatter of…
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.