A 19-year-old man who was the first person in Switzerland confirmed as having the H1N1 flu virus has been given a clean bill of health and allowed to leave hospital.This content was published on May 3, 2009 - 16:07
He was diagnosed with the virus following a trip to Mexico. The hospital in Baden near Zurich said on Sunday he had overcome the flu and was no longer contagious.
However 16 hospital staff who had been in contact with him and 15 other people he knew must remain in quarantine until Wednesday.
The man had travelled back to Switzerland aboard a Philadelphia-Zurich flight on April 25 that was carrying someone infected with the H1N1 virus. Swiss health authorities had warned anyone who travelled on the same flight to see their doctors.
An elected official from the Swiss town of Aarau was also among the passengers and was suspected of having the virus, the Federal Health Office said on Saturday. As a result around 50 people from the town have been ordered to stay at home until Tuesday, including six other town executive members and administrators, and friends and family.
Swiss health authorities confirmed on Sunday they were studying the condition of 27 people suspected of carrying the H1N1 virus that is behind the "swine flu" outbreak. Of the 52 total cases brought to their attention so far, 24 have tested negative.
The health office cautioned that the virus was not under control in Switzerland and repeated calls for anyone returning from Mexico or an affected area to undergo checks with their doctors.
swissinfo with agencies
This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with the JTI standards