The Swiss voice in the world since 1935
Top stories
Stay in touch with Switzerland

Government presents proposal for organ donations 

transplant operation
Lifesaving work: an operation to remove a donor heart © Keystone / Gaetan Bally

The Swiss government has set out its plans to regulate organ donations. The aim: stem Switzerland’s organ shortage. 

​​​​​​​

The move is an indirect counterproposal to a people’s initiative “promote organ donations, save lives” launched in 2017. This wants organ donations to be based on presumed consent, meaning that every adult who dies could automatically become a donor. 

This aims to reverse the current opt-in policy, which requires explicit consent by potential donors and consultation of relatives if they have not. 

Middle way 

In its plans, put out to consultation on Friday, the government takes a middle way: it supports presumed consent, with those not in favour of donating being required to put their names on a register. But its version allows for the consultation of relatives in cases of doubt. 

Switzerland does not have enough organs available for donation. Last year, 68 people died while waiting for a transplant. According to a government statementExternal link, “donation numbers are still low in European comparison”, despite a campaign to promote the practice. 

+ Read more about the organ donation campaign here 

The government said that it supported the basis on the initiative: it wants to reduce waiting times and thus save lives. Experience in other countries has shown that organ donation increases with the presumed consent model, it added. This is the case in France, Austria, Italy and Spain. But it added that, in its view, it was still important to consult relatives. 

The rules would apple to people aged over 16 and who are living in Switzerland. The conditions for organ donation would remain unchanged: that the death took place in hospital due to a brain injury or cardiac arrest.

More
Heart surgery

More

Demographics

Organ donations increasing but still insufficient

This content was published on The Federal Health OfficeExternal link said 145 people had agreed to provide one or several organs upon their death. In addition, 137 live donors had given a kidney or part of their liver. In total, 440 patients were able to benefit in 2017, according to a statement published on Monday. Officials say the increase is…

Read more: Organ donations increasing but still insufficient

Popular Stories

News

Death of Esther Grether, owner of the Doetsch Grether Group

More

Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies

This content was published on Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.

Read more: Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies
Flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation ceremoniously received in Mollis GL

More

Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins

This content was published on The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.

Read more: Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins
Fifa loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

More

FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

This content was published on Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.

Read more: FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
How cancer makes healthy cells work for itself

More

How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them

This content was published on Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.

Read more: How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
Bathing ban for non-residents in Pruntrut JU is extended

More

Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

This content was published on The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.

Read more: Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR