Swiss perspectives in 10 languages

Construction sector dispute looks set to end

Employers and unions in the construction industry have come to another compromise to try to forge a new collective labour contract for the sector.

A government-appointed mediator said on Tuesday that differences found previously unacceptable by employers had been ironed out.

The new regulations are to come into force at the beginning of May, pending approval by both sides to the conflict.

Trade unions and the Swiss Master Builders’ Association had been at loggerheads over the terms of a new contract, with the previous accord terminated by the employers at the end of last September.

The situation led to a series of protests and stoppages at construction sites around the country, including the Gotthard rail tunnel under construction.

A first compromise put forward in December was rejected by the builders’ association.

Its president, Werner Messmer, said he was confident that the employers would now accept the proposed deal when they meet on April 29.

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR