Communications Minister Moritz Leuenberger has given his full backing to Swiss Post chairman Claude Béglé after a series of departures from the board.
Béglé’s controversial strategy for promoting business abroad had been approved by the government, Leuenberger told a media conference on Monday. In appointing Béglé at the end of 2008, the government had purposely decided on a change, he said.
The minister was speaking to journalists after a meeting with the Senate telecommunications commission at which he explained the procedure which led to Béglé’s selection.
Commission member Géraldine Savary told French language radio that the commission had been reassured by what Leuenberger said.
Béglé came under fire in the media after the removal of Swiss Post’s chief executive, Michel Kunz and the subsequent resignations of two board members in the space of less than a month.
The problems at Swiss Post stem from differences of opinion over strategy.
swissinfo.ch and agencies