Swiss Post Office appoints CEO to steer clear of controversy
Cirillo has been identified as the right person to take the Post Office forward.
Keystone
The Swiss Post Office has appointed a new chief executive to lead the state-owned company out of a troubled few months following a subsidies scandal that came to light earlier this year.
This content was published on
1 minute
swissinfo.ch/mga
Roberto Cirillo will take over at the helm next April, replacing interim boss Ulrich Hurni, the Swiss Post announced on Thursday. Hurni has been minding the fort since Susanne Ruoff was forced to quit as CEO in June.
Ruoff’s decision was sparked by a Transport Office audit that uncovered years of financial malpractice at the company’s subsidiary PostBus. The transport arm of the Post Office – known for its alpine network of yellow commuter buses – had manipulated accounts between 2007 and 2015 to pocket millions in federal and cantonal subsidies.
In September the company agreed to hand back CHF205.3 million ($214 million) to the government, cantons and communes. But there are fears that its dented reputation may see it lose some local bus links.
Dual Swiss-Italian national Cirillo is currently a board director at British specialty chemicals manufacturer Croda International.
Swiss Post chairman Urs Schwaller said in a statementExternal link that he believes that Cirillo “will successfully lead Swiss Post into the future.”
“Ueli Hurni has provided Swiss Post with a steady, competent hand as CEO, giving staff a sense of stability and continuity during this period,” he added.
More
More
Swiss Politics
Swiss Post CEO resigns
This content was published on
The head of Swiss Post, Susanne Ruoff, has stepped down on Friday with immediate effect over a subsidies scandal at company’s subsidiary, PostBus.
Swiss-EU treaties: signatures handed in for Kompass initiative
This content was published on
The committee behind the Compass Initiative submitted the signatures it had collected to the Federal Chancellery on Friday.
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
This content was published on
Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.
How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
This content was published on
Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.
This content was published on
The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.
Natural disasters: most Swiss back forced resettlement
This content was published on
The authorities should be allowed to order forced relocations if there is a medium-term risk of a natural event, according to 58% of participants in a survey.
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.
Read more
More
PostBus to reimburse more than CHF200 million
This content was published on
The state-owned PostBus company is to hand back CHF205.3 million ($214 million) following a scandal over illegal subsidies.
Swiss Post admits to illicit funding for PostBus company abroad
This content was published on
Swiss Post, the parent company of PostBus, said an investigation confirmed that the financial situation of PostBus subsidiaries abroad had not been “presented in full”, according to a statement published on Tuesday. The report also showed that CarPostal France and PostBus Liechtenstein were “not charged for all services”. This resulted in around CHF67 million ($67…
Legal complaint against PostBus will not be pursued
This content was published on
The Attorney General and public prosecutor of Bern have declared that they do not have the competence to investigate in the PostBus subsidies scandal.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.