Eight Red Cross workers kidnapped in the Democratic Republic of Congo last
week have been released unharmed, the International Committee of the Red Cross says.
The eight, a Swiss citizen and seven Congolese, had been held by Mai Mai armed militia in South Kivu province since last Friday.
"It was an unconditional release as we have wanted all along," said an ICRC communications coordinator quoted by Reuters.
"We are all very relieved that they are out without any harm."
The Swiss foreign ministry said last week it was aware of the situation and that it had been in contact with both the ICRC as well as the Congolese authorities.
swissinfo.ch and agencies
This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with the JTI standards