The Swiss voice in the world since 1935
Top stories
Stay in touch with Switzerland

UNAIDS boss offers to resign next June after critical report

UNAIDS chief Michel Sidibe
UNAIDS chief Michel Sidibe. Independent experts looking into allegations of sexual harassment at UNAIDS said the agency is plagued by "defective leadership," a culture of impunity, and a toxic working environment that cannot be changed unless there is a change in leadership. Copyright 2018. The Associated Press. All rights reserved

The under-fire UNAIDS chief Michel Sidibe has offered to quit next June after an expert report into sexual harassment at the Geneva-based agency criticised his “defective leadership”. 

The executive director announced his plans to leave next summer at a UNAIDS board meeting in Geneva on Thursday, agency spokesman Mahesh Mahalingham told AP. He took up the job in 2009. 

This follows a scathing report by independent expertsExternal link released last week, which blames UNAIDS leaders for a “vacuum of accountability” and a culture of impunity. They said management had failed to prevent or properly respond to allegations of harassment including sexual harassment, bullying and abuse of power in the agency. 

UNAIDS, which spearheads the global fight against Aids and HIV, has its headquarters in Geneva. 

News reports said Sweden, UNAIDS second biggest donor after the US, had said it would withhold funding until Sidibe resigned. Sweden provided $30.8 million to UNAIDS in 2017, second only to $82.4 million from the United States. 

The independent panel behind the critical report was created earlier this year following allegations of sexual harassment by staffers and calls from critics for Sidibe to step down. 

Following Thursday’s board meeting, the UNAIDS oversight body, the Programme Coordinating Board, called for the immediate implementation of the “UNAIDS agenda for changeExternal link” to address harassment, including sexual harassment, bullying and abuse of power. 

In a statementExternal link, Sidibe said he would work to ensure “a smooth transition and pledge to keep my focus on our staff and delivering results for the people we serve.”

More
​​​​​​​

Popular Stories

News

Death of Esther Grether, owner of the Doetsch Grether Group

More

Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies

This content was published on Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.

Read more: Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies
Flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation ceremoniously received in Mollis GL

More

Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins

This content was published on The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.

Read more: Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins
Fifa loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

More

FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

This content was published on Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.

Read more: FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
How cancer makes healthy cells work for itself

More

How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them

This content was published on Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.

Read more: How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
Bathing ban for non-residents in Pruntrut JU is extended

More

Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

This content was published on The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.

Read more: Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR