Amnesty International slams Switzerland for its treatment of Palestinian NGOs
Palestinians make thier way from the northern Gaza Strip to the southern Gaza Strip on November 27, 2023.
Keystone / Mohammed Saber
The human rights organisation Amnesty International has criticised Switzerland's dealings with Palestinian NGOs. Stopping cooperation with three such organisations would foster mistrust towards Palestinian civil society.
This content was published on
2 minutes
Keystone-SDA
العربية
ar
العفو الدولية تنتقد تعامل سويسرا مع المنظمات الفلسطينية
The Federal Council did not adequately justify its decision to cancel the contracts, Amnesty International announced on Tuesday. It had not explained which statements by the organisations concerned were considered hate speech under international law. However, this transparency would have been necessary.
According to the communiqué, the decision contradicts the priorities of Swiss foreign policy. This places the protection of those who defend human rights at the centre.
Last Wednesday, the Federal Council decided to end its cooperation with three Palestinian non-governmental organisations. The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR), the Palestinian NGO Network (PNGO) and Al-Shabaka/The Palestinian Policy Network are affected, as was announced in the days that followed.
“Non-compliant behaviour”
Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis said at a media conference last Wednesday that the decision was due to non-compliant behaviour regarding the code of conduct and contractual anti-discrimination clause.
The NGOs are contractually obliged to be careful with their communication, Cassis said last week. Switzerland’s cooperation programme also had to be adapted due to the “turning point” on 7 October.
Following the Hamas massacres in southern Israel, the federal government inspected a total of six Palestinian and five Israeli non-governmental organisations that are partners of the Swiss Cooperation Programme for the Middle East. According to the authorities, no irregularities were found at eight organisations.
Related Stories
Popular Stories
More
International Geneva
A Geneva-based global health foundation came close to ‘collapse’. Where were regulators?
Swiss-EU treaties: signatures handed in for Kompass initiative
This content was published on
The committee behind the Compass Initiative submitted the signatures it had collected to the Federal Chancellery on Friday.
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
This content was published on
Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.
How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
This content was published on
Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.
This content was published on
The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.
Natural disasters: most Swiss back forced resettlement
This content was published on
The authorities should be allowed to order forced relocations if there is a medium-term risk of a natural event, according to 58% of participants in a survey.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.