Navigation

National Bank to keep UBS toxic assets fund

The Swiss National Bank has no intention at present of selling back to UBS the toxic assets it bought as part of a rescue plan last year, a top SNB official says.

This content was published on October 3, 2009 - 11:17

The SNB last October announced the creation of a holding fund to absorb up to $60 billion worth of UBS's so-called toxic holdings – assets whose value had fallen so sharply that they could not longer expect to be sold.

UBS has recently let it be known that it was interested in reacquiring the assets, but Thomas Jordan, deputy chairman designate of the SNB, told Swiss public radio that the SNB would continue to administer and liquidate the holding fund "according to plan".

He said the reduction of risks would continue. The risks currently stand at $25.5 billion, down from $35 billion when the fund was set up.

He put at 50 per cent the likelihood that the rescue operation would end in a loss for the SNB.

swissinfo.ch and agencies

In compliance with the JTI standards

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Change your password

Do you really want to delete your profile?