The Swiss voice in the world since 1935
Top stories
Stay in touch with Switzerland

Swiss chocolate maker Barry Callebaut added to Ukraine’s ‘sponsors of war’ blacklist

Barry Callebaut chocolate.
The Ukraine agency said that last year Barry Callebaut shipped more than $94 million worth of goods to Russia, three times more than in 2022. © Keystone / Walter Bieri

Ukraine’s National Agency for the Prevention of Corruption has added Barry Callebaut to its “international sponsor of war” list for continuing to do business in Russia.

The Zurich-based chocolate giant told the AWP news agency on Friday that it condemned “all belligerent activities” and shared “the deep concerns raised throughout the world by the war in Ukraine”.

It also assured that it strictly complied with all international sanctions and regulations in the context of its activities.

The Swiss chocolate firm added that following Moscow’s attack against Ukraine, it had “actively suspended all new investments in Russia and adjusted (its) activities in this market”.

+ Swiss-based firms active in Russia are ‘filling Putin’s war chest’

Ukraine accuses Barry Callebaut of maintaining its business activities in the Russian Federation, where it operates three factories, and of financing Russia’s war effort via its taxes – $33 million in 2022. In addition, the multinational is alleged to have supplied a confectionery factory “under the guise of basic necessities”, whose chocolate is given to Russian soldiers as food rations.

+ Cocoa factory slow-down spells trouble for chocolate industry

The Ukraine agency said that last year Barry Callebaut shipped more than $94 million worth of goods to Russia, three times more than in 2022. “Barry Callebaut continues to actively support the Russian economy and, consequently, to sponsor its aggression against Ukraine,” it said.

Among food groups, the Zurich-based group joins Vevey-based Nestlé on the list of “international sponsors of the war”, as well as Mars, PepsiCo, Mondelez and Unilever.

This news story has been written and carefully fact-checked by an external editorial team. At SWI swissinfo.ch we select the most relevant news for an international audience and use automatic translation tools such as DeepL to translate it into English. Providing you with automatically translated news gives us the time to write more in-depth articles. You can find them here

If you want to know more about how we work, have a look here, and if you have feedback on this news story please write to english@swissinfo.ch.

External Content
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Almost finished… We need to confirm your email address. To complete the subscription process, please click the link in the email we just sent you.
Daily news

Get the most important news from Switzerland in your inbox.

Daily

The SBC Privacy Policy provides additional information on how your data is processed.

Popular Stories

News

Death of Esther Grether, owner of the Doetsch Grether Group

More

Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies

This content was published on Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.

Read more: Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies
Flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation ceremoniously received in Mollis GL

More

Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins

This content was published on The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.

Read more: Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins
Fifa loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

More

FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

This content was published on Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.

Read more: FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
How cancer makes healthy cells work for itself

More

How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them

This content was published on Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.

Read more: How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
Bathing ban for non-residents in Pruntrut JU is extended

More

Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

This content was published on The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.

Read more: Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR