Hingis withdraws from Wimbledon
Martina Hingis, still recovering from ankle surgery last month, has officially withdrawn from Wimbledon.
The 21-year-old Swiss star, who won Wimbledon in 1997, has also missed the French Open as a result of a May 20 operation to repair ligaments in her left ankle.
Wimbledon referee, Alan Mills, confirmed in a statement that she had made her much-anticipated withdrawal official.
"We have received official notification that Martina Hingis is withdrawing from Wimbledon due to her left foot injury and subsequent surgery," Mills said.
This week's French Open is the first grand slam Hingis has missed since turning professional in 1994.
After her operation, doctors said Hingis would would need "6 to 8 weeks of rest to help the healing process".
Wimbledon starts on June 24.
swissinfo with agencies
In compliance with the JTI standards
More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative
Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at email@example.com.