A local police chief has confirmed that of the 28 people killed in Tuesday night’s bus crash in southern Switzerland seven were Dutch and 21 were Belgian.This content was published on March 14, 2012 - 21:01
The cause of the crash, which happened just 20 minutes into the journey and claimed the lives of 22 children returning from a skiing holiday, four teachers and two drivers, is being investigated.
The bus crashed head on into a concrete wall inside a tunnel but early indications have ruled out speeding, the investigating prosecutor told a media conference in nearby Sion on Wednesday evening.
Prosecutor Olivier Elsig said video cameras from the tunnel captured the accident. He told reporters the children on the bus were wearing seat belts and no other vehicle was involved.
Elsig said investigators were looking at three possible causes for the crash – a technical problem with the bus, a health problem with the driver, or human error.
He said the seatbelts wouldn't have helped much due to the severity of the crash. Experts will conduct an autopsy on the driver, he added.
Also speaking at the media conference, Swiss President Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf and Belgian Prime minister Elio di Rupo, expressed their sorrow and sympathy for the families of those killed and the 24 children injured in the crash.
“Switzerland will do everything it can to support the families,” Widmer-Schlumpf said sitting next to the Belgian leader. She commended the work of the rescue services.
Di Rupo spoke of the dramatic scale of the accident and the high number of child fatalities. “When one loses a child there are no words,” he said, pledging to do everything to ease the pain of the bereaved.
Belgium declared a day of mourning on Wednesday.
The Belgian health ministry said on Wednesday evening that all the injured children had now been identified: seven come from Lommel, near the Dutch border, with two in a critical condition in hospital, and 17 come from Heverlee, near Brussels, and include two in also in a critical condition.
The group comprised two Flemish school parties. They had been staying in the village of St Luc in Val d’Anniviers, a skiing destination popular among Belgians.
The families of the dead and injured arrived in Geneva on Wednesday afternoon from where they were flown on to Valais, some to be reunited with their children, some to identify the remains of their loved ones.
Although some had received phone calls from their injured children before leaving Belgium, the agonising wait for news continued for other parents into Wednesday evening.
Tragic scenes were played out at the two Belgian schools throughout the day. Schoolmates and family members comforted each other while waiting for news.
Family and friends had been getting updates throughout the week from the holidaying children in Switzerland through a blog which described their happy experiences in St Luc.
A crisis centre has been set up and an emergency number provided for families. In Valais the victims’ helpline is +41 848 112 117.
Two other buses, carrying students from schools in the Belgian towns of Beersel and Haasrode, arrived safely back in Belgium on Tuesday, apparently without having seen the accident.
Dr Jean-Pierre Deslarzes, medical director of the cantonal rescue service OCVS, said rescuers were traumatised because so many of the victims were children.
More than 200 people were involved in the rescue operation at the accident scene, including 15 doctors, 30 police officers and 60 fire officers. It took more than eight hours.
Witnesses who stopped to help as well as those who drove by were also deeply shocked by the desperate situation in the tunnel and their inability to assist the trapped children, they told Swiss television.
Tuesday’s Tunnel de Geronde crash is one of the worst accidents in Switzerland in 30 years. The previous worst accident in a Swiss highway tunnel happened in 2001, when two trucks collided in the Gotthard tunnel, killing 11 people.
Tuesday night’s coach accident is one of the worst in Switzerland in the last 30 years after an accident in Pfäffikon near Zurich in 1982 which claimed 39 victims.
In the past few years:
June 2010: a Canadian couple died in Reckingen, Valais. 28 others were injured, four seriously.
October 2008: an accident on the Italian side of the great St Bernard Pass involving a coach full of Neuchâtel Juventus football fans resulted in two deaths and 26 injuries.
September 2006: Nine people died in a blaze in the Viamala tunnel in canton Graubünden after a bus carrying a local ice hockey team was in collision with a car.
April 2005: 13 people died in an accident on the Great St Bernard Pass near Orsières when a coach crashed off the road into a ravine.
Another grave accident occurred in 2001 in the Gotthard tunnel, after a truck caught fire after losing control. Eleven people died, mainly as a result of smoke inhalation.End of insertion
In compliance with the JTI standards