Over 300 terror suspects refused entry to Switzerland
The Swiss government revealed the information on entry bans after a parliamentary question seeking details on the case of two Swiss citizens who were accused of playing a role in the beheadings of two Scandinavian tourists - Maren Ueland from Norway and Louisa Vesterager Jespersen from Denmark - last year in southern Morocco.
Keystone / Thomas Sjoerup
The Federal Office of Police (Fedpol) imposed 331 entry bans on people with suspected terrorist links during the 2016-2018 period, the government said on Thursday.
This content was published on
2 minutes
Keystone-SDA/sb
Fedpol also expelled 19 people for terror links over this period, the Federal Council said in response to a question by the Zurich People’s Party parliamentarian Barbara Steinemann.
She had asked for details on the case of two Swiss citizens who were accused of playing a role in the beheadings of two Scandinavian tourists last year in southern Morocco.
At the end of October, a Morocco court upheld a 20-year sentence against a Swiss-Spanish citizen, who was suspected of being part of an operation to recruit people to commit terrorist acts in Morocco. Earlier in October a second Swiss citizen had his sentence reduced from ten to five years by the Moroccan judiciary. He had been convicted in April on three counts: participation in a terrorist act, supporting terrorism, and withholding information relating to a crime.
The Federal Council refused to comment on these cases. However, it recalled that the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) may withdraw their Swiss nationality and the right to cantonal and communal citizenship. Fedpol may also issue an expulsion or entry ban against the two men.
Under Swiss law, membership of the Al-Qaeda and Islamic State (IS) jihadist groups is a punishable offence.
Latest figures by the Federal Intelligence Service from May show that 92 jihadist “travellersExternal link” have left Switzerland for conflict areas since 2001, of whom 77 have gone to Syria and Iraq. Of these, 31 have been confirmed killed and 16 have returned to Switzerland.
There are currently about 20 suspected jihadists – men, women and minors – with Swiss passports, some of them in custody of non-state powers in Syria and Iraq. Switzerland is among many European countries which are under pressure to repatriate their nationals arrested in Syria.
The Swiss government has rejected calls to actively repatriate Islamic militants with Swiss nationality from Syria or Iraq. The Swiss authorities want the jihadists to be tried under international legal standards in the country where they committed their crimes.
More
More
Demographics
ISIS killings: Moroccan court upholds 20-year sentence for Swiss national
This content was published on
A Moroccan court has confirmed the 20-year prison sentence for a Swiss-Spanish citizen accused of involvement in the murders of two Scandinavians.
Swiss-EU treaties: signatures handed in for Kompass initiative
This content was published on
The committee behind the Compass Initiative submitted the signatures it had collected to the Federal Chancellery on Friday.
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
This content was published on
Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.
How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
This content was published on
Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.
This content was published on
The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.
Natural disasters: most Swiss back forced resettlement
This content was published on
The authorities should be allowed to order forced relocations if there is a medium-term risk of a natural event, according to 58% of participants in a survey.
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.
Read more
More
Can Swiss authorities deal with terrorist attacks?
This content was published on
The Swiss government, cantons and cities will carry out a 52-hour exercise starting on November 11 on coping with a terrorist threat.
Swiss Attorney General files indictment against two men over IS links
This content was published on
Attorney General files indictment with the Federal Criminal Court against two men accused of supporting and participating in “Islamic State” (IS).
This content was published on
The Swiss Federal Criminal Court has decided to extend the pre-trial detention of a man accused of supporting a criminal group and attempting murder.
ISIS killings: Moroccan court upholds 20-year sentence for Swiss national
This content was published on
A Moroccan court has confirmed the 20-year prison sentence for a Swiss-Spanish citizen accused of involvement in the murders of two Scandinavians.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.