The Swiss voice in the world since 1935
Top stories
Stay in touch with Switzerland

Dubious arms deals: case against ex-Ruag employee closed

logo of defence company RUAG against blue sky backgrop
Ruag HQ in Bern: the company has said in recent years it wants to focus more on the space sector than on defence. Keystone / Anthony Anex

A former employee of the state-owned Ruag defence contracting firm has been cleared of making illegal deals with Russia.

The Swiss Attorney-General’s Office (OAG) confirmed on Saturday that the main charges against the man – violation of the Federal Act on War Materiel – had been dropped due to lack of evidence.

The information had earlier been reported by newspapers from the Tamedia group.

The man was however slapped with a suspended fine of CHF27,000 ($30,940) for illegally taking commission payments of CHF150,000. He also has to pay a fine of CHF4,500 and the costs of proceedings.

+ More on the Swiss arms industry and how it’s organised

The case dates to 2018, when Ruag was tipped off by its own whistleblower office about dubious arms deals with Russia made by a senior employee. Media reports said the head of Ruag’s ammunition division had allegedly made the deals, worth millions, with the then Russia head of the Julius Baer bank.

Former Ruag boss Urs Breitmeier said at the time that the man had “reached an agreement without our knowledge with our sales partner that he could sell other products in parallel with ours and receive additional commissions on all products sold”.

+ Read more: Ukraine war is a windfall for Swiss arms exports

The OAG’s conclusion five years later is however that all the ammo deliveries in question between 2010 and 2013 were duly approved.

The investigation also found no concrete evidence that other arms deliveries and exports of dual-use goods from 2010 to 2016 had not been approved in accordance with the War Materiel Act, nor that the Federal Embargo Act – the legal basis for implementing international sanctions – had been violated.

The former Julius Baer director and his companies were placed on a sanctions list by the US Treasury in February this year in connection with the war in Ukraine.

They are suspected of having secretly supplied the Russian military and secret service with sensitive Western technology and equipment for nuclear weapons laboratories.

Popular Stories

News

Death of Esther Grether, owner of the Doetsch Grether Group

More

Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies

This content was published on Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.

Read more: Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies
Flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation ceremoniously received in Mollis GL

More

Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins

This content was published on The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.

Read more: Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins
Fifa loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

More

FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

This content was published on Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.

Read more: FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
How cancer makes healthy cells work for itself

More

How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them

This content was published on Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.

Read more: How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
Bathing ban for non-residents in Pruntrut JU is extended

More

Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

This content was published on The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.

Read more: Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR