Court rules that SECO must release sensitive arms exports details
Switzerland is the world's 14th-largest exporter of arms.
Keystone
A Swiss court has ruled that the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) must reverse its opposition to releasing information about arms exports to a journalist. The details are in the public interest, the court claimed.
This content was published on
2 minutes
SDA-ATS/dos
The decision by the Federal Administrative Court in St Gallen on Friday came after SECO had refused to accede to the request of a journalist from the weekly Woz magazine concerning applications for arms exports in 2014.
The journalist, who based the request on the law on transparency in state administration, had asked for detailed information about the businesses that had made the requests, the type of material they wished to export, and the value of the weapons in each case.
SECO refused to release the information for reasons of economic and diplomatic prudence: revealing the names of destination countries could lead to bilateral tensions and the possible future scuppering of deals, it said.
Public interest
However, the court ruled, such information has a high public interest, dealing as it does with an issue that is much debated among the public and civil society; moreover, the media is vital in overseeing the activities of state authorities.
Before releasing the information, SECO will now consult with the companies concerned to determine whether and which names and details will be made anonymous. It also has 30 days to appeal the verdict to the Federal Court.
SECO already publishes annual statistics about approved exports, but these do not include information about every application and each Swiss company involved.
Last year, SECO recently announced, Switzerland delivered war materiel worth CHF446.6 million ($477 million) to 64 countries, an increase of 8% on 2016.
More
More
Swiss weapons exports increase
This content was published on
Switzerland delivered war materiel worth CHF446.6 million ($477 million) to 64 countries last year, an increase of 8% on 2016.
FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
This content was published on
Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.
How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
This content was published on
Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.
This content was published on
The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.
Natural disasters: most Swiss back forced resettlement
This content was published on
The authorities should be allowed to order forced relocations if there is a medium-term risk of a natural event, according to 58% of participants in a survey.
US ends duty-free for parcels from all over the world
This content was published on
Postal service providers in numerous countries such as Switzerland have announced that they will no longer accept most parcels destined for the US.
Foreign minister urges full implementation of arms treaty
This content was published on
States must focus more effort on fully implementing the landmark Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), Swiss Foreign Minister Didier Burkhalter said on Monday.
Minister considers calls to soften arms export rules
This content was published on
Economic Affairs Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann says his ministry will take up requests from the arms industry to soften rules on weapons exports.
This content was published on
The launching of the campaign kicked off with one of the group’s members, 86-year-old Louise Schneider, being picked up by police for spraying “Geld für Waffen tötet” (money for weapons kills) on the Swiss National Bank (SNB). The bank is currently undergoing renovations, so the graffiti was sprayed on a wooden protective wall. The text…
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.