Swiss perspectives in 10 languages

‘Financial equalisation’ between Swiss cantons to increase in 2025

view of zug city
Low-tax and wealthy Zug is invariably a net contributor to the Swiss financial equalistion system. Keystone / Urs Flueeler

Redistribution payments between regions will rise by 4.8% to CHF6.2 billion ($6.91 billion) in 2025, the Federal Finance Administration (FFA) said on Tuesday.

According to provisional calculations, annual compensation payments to cantons with low resource potential – the main component of the equalisation scheme – will climb by CHF331 million (7.3%) next year to reach a total of CHF4.8 billion.

Some 60% of the total payments will be financed from federal coffers; richer cantons will provide the other 40%.

+ Read more: how rich cantons subsidise their ‘poorer’ cousins

Of the 26 cantons, Zug will contribute most, with a bill of over CHF431 million. The small central canton is followed by Zurich (CHF419 million), which is the only one of the eight regions paying into the common pot to see its contribution fall (CHF43 million less than in 2024). Geneva will pay CHF253 million (+CHF54 million).

All cantons in French-speaking Switzerland except Geneva are among the 18 beneficiaries of the financial equalisation scheme.

The figures will be approved by government at the end of this year.

Adapted from French by DeepL/dos

This news story has been written and carefully fact-checked by an external editorial team. At SWI we select the most relevant news for an international audience and use automatic translation tools such as DeepL to translate it into English. Providing you with automatically translated news gives us the time to write more in-depth articles.

If you want to know more about how we work, have a look here, and if you have feedback on this news story please write to

External Content
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Almost finished… We need to confirm your email address. To complete the subscription process, please click the link in the email we just sent you.
Daily news

Get the most important news from Switzerland in your inbox.


The SBC Privacy Policy provides additional information on how your data is processed.

Most Read
Swiss Abroad

Most Discussed


the term "dog days" derives from the constellation Canis Major, specifically its main star, Sirius. The dog days begin with the first rising of this star, visible from Earth. The ancient Greeks and Romans believed that the heat during this period was due to the combined influence of Sirius and the sun.


No heat records in sight (yet) despite the ‘dog days’

This content was published on The dog days—traditionally the hottest days of the year—began on Tuesday. However, the weather service Meteonews predicts that Switzerland is unlikely to see new temperature records in the near future.

Read more: No heat records in sight (yet) despite the ‘dog days’

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at

SWI - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR