The Swiss voice in the world since 1935
Top stories
Stay in touch with Switzerland

Two Swiss accused of planting explosives to intimidate the rich

Basel
No one was injured in the explosion, but material damage amounted to CHF 170,000 ($192,000). Keystone / Georgios Kefalas

The Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland (OAG) has accused two Swiss men of carrying out a bomb attack in Basel last year. They also allegedly tried to buy explosives in Stuttgart, Germany.

The aim of the youths, aged 25 and 27, was to intimidate wealthy people, the OAG told the Keystone-SDA news agency on Friday evening, without giving further details, confirming a report by the public broadcaster SRF. No one was injured in the explosion, but material damage amounted to CHF 170,000 ($192,000).

According to the OAG, the two suspects, from cantons Basel City and Basel Country, first carried out an explosive attack on a building in the Bruderholz district of Basel on March 30, 2022. They then travelled to Stuttgart on June 20, 2022 to buy four 500-gram packs of plastic explosives for €2,000 but were intercepted by the German police.

A tip-off put the police on their trail. They then traced a man on DarkNet who said he wanted to buy explosives. The two men were remanded in custody and extradited to Switzerland at the request of the OAG.

This news story has been written and carefully fact-checked by an external editorial team. At SWI swissinfo.ch we select the most relevant news for an international audience and use automatic translation tools such as DeepL to translate them into English. Providing you with automatically translated news gives us the time to write more in-depth articles. You can find them here

If you want to know more about how we work, have a look here, and if you have feedback on this news story please write to english@swissinfo.ch


More
Verbombtes Gebäude

More

History

The Swiss terrorist who worked for the CIA

This content was published on Bruno Breguet belonged to the notorious terrorist group led by Carlos the Jackal. New evidence shows that he ended up as an agent for the CIA.

Read more: The Swiss terrorist who worked for the CIA


 

Popular Stories

News

Death of Esther Grether, owner of the Doetsch Grether Group

More

Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies

This content was published on Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.

Read more: Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies
Flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation ceremoniously received in Mollis GL

More

Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins

This content was published on The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.

Read more: Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins
Fifa loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

More

FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

This content was published on Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.

Read more: FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
How cancer makes healthy cells work for itself

More

How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them

This content was published on Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.

Read more: How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
Bathing ban for non-residents in Pruntrut JU is extended

More

Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

This content was published on The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.

Read more: Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR