The Swiss voice in the world since 1935
Top stories
Stay in touch with Switzerland

Covid-19 science taskforce rejects accusations of alarmism

hospital
The daily number of new coronavirus cases across Switzerland reached more than 10,000 at the beginning of November. Keystone / Martial Trezzini

The Covid-19 science taskforce has said it stands by estimates that Switzerland’s intensive care units could reach capacity if new Covid-19 infections don’t drop dramatically in the next few weeks.

In an interviewExternal link in the Sonntagszeitung, Sebastian Bonhoeffer, a member of the National Covid-19 Science Taskforce, said that the forecasts were not alarmist overestimates. “If you add 100 or 200 beds to the bed capacity, it will only take a few days longer for the hospitals to reach their limits,” he said.

On October 23, Martin Ackermann, who heads the Covid-19 science taskforce, said they estimated that the capacity limit in intensive care in hospitals would be reached between end of October and November 9 if the situation didn’t improve. At the time, Switzerland reported 6,634 new cases.

Bonhoeffer explains that “the forecasts of October 23 were based on the assumption that non-emergency interventions would not be postponed”. As some hospitals have rescheduled procedures, the doubling time slowed from 7 to 8.6 days. In response to changes, the taskforce adjusted the forecasts and declared last Friday that the upper limit of 1,400 beds would be reached by November 13 to 19 if nothing is done to bring down the cases. 

New infections have surged in Switzerland in the last two weeks reaching over 10,000 a couple days last week. On Saturday, statistics compiled by the World Health Organisation revealed that six cantons in Switzerland are among the top 12 regions for Covid-19 infections in Europe. Geneva tops the list with 13,965 new infections in the last 14 days.

On Thursday, some hard-hit hospitals started transferring some intensive care coronavirus patients from French-speaking part of the country to German-speaking regions that have more space. The government has also deployed the army to provide support to hospital staff in Geneva among other cantons.

The federal government put in place stricter measures in late October to deal with the rising cases but has resisted some form of lockdown despite calls from some epidemiologists in the country. Some cantons including Geneva, Vaud, Valais and Jura have opted for semi-confinement in which bars, restaurants and non-essential shops are closed.

Last weekend, the Health minister already warned that large family gatherings and parties will likely be difficult over the holidays. “I don’t know if we can save Christmas,” Berset told Le Matin DimancheExternal link. “We have to live with this uncertainty.”

Coronavirus protests in Basel

Over the weekend, several hundred people gathered in Basel to protest against the Covid-19 measures. Political protests are allowed provided people wear masks. Keystone-SDA reported that very few protestors were wearing masks and that around 80 people were questioned by authorities.

One of the protestors claimed to say that the country was turning into a “health dictatorship” while another said that this “masked history” was a crime against humanity.

Popular Stories

News

Death of Esther Grether, owner of the Doetsch Grether Group

More

Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies

This content was published on Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.

Read more: Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies
Flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation ceremoniously received in Mollis GL

More

Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins

This content was published on The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.

Read more: Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins
Fifa loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

More

FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

This content was published on Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.

Read more: FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
How cancer makes healthy cells work for itself

More

How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them

This content was published on Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.

Read more: How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
Bathing ban for non-residents in Pruntrut JU is extended

More

Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

This content was published on The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.

Read more: Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR